550 Spring St
Little River, KS 67457
Little River Schools
Little River students attend school in the Little River Unified School District 444. Total enrollment for USD 444 is approximately 200.
The mission of USD 444 is to prepare students with thinking and reasoning skills so that they may become functioning and responsible citizens.
(Source- USD 444-usd444.ss5.sharpschool.com)
Little River Lifestyle
Little River is home to 549 (2013) residents. Little River USD 444 makes Little River a great place to raise a family. Little River enjoys access to local attractions including the Rolling Hills Zoo, McPherson Water Park and Kansas Cosmosphere Space Center.
Little River Transportation
Little River is located north of highway KS-56. Hutchinson is 36 minutes from Little River, Salina is under an hour and McPherson is less than 30 minutes away.
Little River Local Attractions/Activities
Surrounding towns like Salina and McPherson offer many local attractions.
Rolling Hills Zoo
Here you can get face-to-face with a rare white camel, an Indian rhino, a curious orangutan, an ornery aardvark or many of the other animals of the 100+ species of wildlife at home in the zoo. Great care has been taken to provide the animals spacious and naturalistic environments throughout 60 acres of beautifully landscaped park.
(Source- Rolling Hills Zoo-www.rollinghillswildlife.com)
Kansas Cosmosphere Space Center
What is now one of the world’s premier space museums was once the dream of a Hutchinson civic leader, Patricia Brooks Carey. Her vision to create one of the first public planetariums in the central United States had humble beginnings. In 1962, the Hutchinson Planetarium opened inside the Poultry Building on the Kansas State Fairgrounds with a used star projector and rented folding chairs.
Four years later, the Hutchinson Planetarium relocated to the campus of Hutchinson Community College, in what today houses Dr. Goddard’s Lab.
In 1976, Carey and the Hutchinson Planetarium’s board of directors began planning to significantly expand the facility. They sought the advice of former employee Max Ary, who had worked for the planetarium while going to college. Ary was the director of Ft. Worth’s Noble Planetarium at the time and happened to be serving on a Smithsonian committee that placed tens of thousands of space artifacts in museums after the Apollo program concluded.
So the Cosmosphere was in the right place at the right time.
Launched as the Kansas Cosmosphere and Discover Center in 1980, the new facility featured permanent exhibit galleries in the Hall of Space Museum, one of the first OMNIMAX theaters in the world and the planetarium that started it all.
In 1997, the facility was further renovated and expanded to its present size, 105,000 square feet, nearly tripling the area devoted to the Hall of Space Museum. Today the Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center is one of the most comprehensive space museums in the world and one of the leading educational tourist attractions in the United States.
(Source- Kansas Cosmosphere Space Center-www.cosmo.org)
McPherson Water Park
You can select from an assortment of activities; cruise the 500 foot lazy river, a giant water slide, deep diving area, 8 lane 50 meter pool and a children’s spray recreation area. The McPherson Water Park offers fun for all ages!
(Source- McPherson Water Park-www.mcphersonwaterpark.com)
Little River –History
This tract of land was in use well before the incorporation of the city in 1886. Little River (so named for the tributary the M&M Branch Line of the Santa Fe railroad crossed) was a town site platted by the The Arkansas Valley Town and Land Company in November, 1880. The railroad was completed in the spring of 1880 and the first train passed through from Florence to Ellinwood on June 1, 1880.
During the construction phase of the railroad, many of the laborers boarded at a ranch house on a hill just west of the new town site. The house was occupied by the H.B. Hodges family and they fed the railroad workers before there was a town of Little River. In the late 1880’s, Cyrus Clutter purchased this farm and buildings. Upon Mr. Clutter’s death, the farm passed on to his daughter, Edna Clutter Perry and her husband Percy Perry. This tract has been known as Clutter Hill since 1900. Percy and his son Paul deeded off tracts of this property for the construction of Sandstone Heights Nursing Home, a grass airstrip used in the 50’s and 60’s and later for two homes built by Bill Hicks and Clair Cordell. The original boarding house had been converted to a barn and was still standing along with a granary until these homes were being built. A large portion of Clutter Hill to the north was deeded to Sentry Underground for the purpose of hydrocarbon storage. This property is currently owned by Ferrell Gas.
The name Clutter Hill has some historical significance for Little River and to sustain that historical naming, two primary streets in the subdivision are named for well-known philanthropists, George Hoffman and W.H. Burke (Hoffman Court and Burke Lane). Their contributions to Little River were many with the most notable the Burke Hotel (still standing) built in 1921, and the Hoffman Memorial Hospital now the site of City Hall.
In January of 2006, what remained of the original Clutter Hill tract was obtained from the Perry family by the Little River Development Group (LRDG), with a vision for an expansion of home building sites in Little River. A grant from the Little River Community Fund was awarded to the LRDG. The parcel was subsequently annexed by the city, bids were obtained for construction and a final award was granted on May 24, 2010. Construction started on July 1, 2010 and a projected completion date is December 1, 2010. The Subdivision has concrete streets, curb and gutter, city sewer, gas and water, and is served by state-of-the-art fiber optics communication lines.
(Source- Little River Chamber of Commerce-www.littleriver-ks-chamber.org)